Our guest speaker will be Tom Cuthbert of CND National Council, who will be speaking on the return of nuclear weapons to the RAF base at Lakenheath, and the next demo planned there, on Saturday 17th September. The return of US nuclear weapons to Britain – along with the upgrading of its nuclear weapons across Europe – constitutes a further undermining of prospects for global peace. The US is the only country to locate its nuclear weapons outside its own borders and this major increase in NATO’s capacity to wage nuclear war in Europe is dangerously destabilising.
At this month’s meeting, we shall also be finalising details of our Hiroshima Day events:
Saturday 6th August: Hiroshima Day stall in Leek with the Leek Peace Choir
Monday 8th August: Hiroshima/Nagasaki Day event with music, poetry, readings etc
Our September meeting, on Monday 12th September, will be our Annual General Meeting.
We are running a coach to the Stop Trident demo on Saturday 27th February.
The coach will definitely pick up in Stoke at 8.00 am. Other pick-up points may be arranged if required (e.g. Crewe, Keele, Newcastle or Stafford).
To book your seat, you will need to pay in advance. (We are sorry to have to insist on this, but hiring coaches to London is expensive, and we have to pay the coach company in advance.) The cost is £20 per person, or £10 if you are unwaged, or earn less than the living wage. If you are high waged, and can afford it, we ask you to pay £30.
There are two ways of booking and paying.
1. By post. Send a cheque or postal order, payable to ‘South Cheshire & North Staffs CND’, to SCANS CND Peace Centre, Groundwork Enterprise Centre, Albany Works, Moorland Road, Burslem, STOKE-ON-TRENT, ST6 1EB, together with your details (see below).
2. Electronically. Make a payment by bank transfer using your internet banking service to South Cheshire & North Staffs CND, sort code 08-90-09, account number 50562019 – and give your surname as the reference so that we can identify your payment. Then send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org confirming that you have paid, and giving your details (see below).
Whichever way you book, please ensure you give us the following details:
– Your name
– The number of seats you are booking, and at what cost
– Where you would like to join the coach (see above)
– Your postal address
– Your email address (we will confirm your booking, and notify any changes, by email)
– Your mobile phone number (in case we need to contact you on the day)
Saturday 13th July
Stafford & Stone CND town centre stall
Market Square, STAFFORD, ST16 2BB. 11.00 am – 1.00 pm
Thursday 18th July
Stoke & Newcastle CND meeting
Peace Centre, Burslem School of Art, Queen Street, Burslem
STOKE-ON-TRENT, ST6 3EJ. Car park at rear. 7.00 – 8.30 pm
Friday 19th July
Stafford & Stone CND meeting
Quaker Meeting House, Foregate Street, STAFFORD,
ST16 2PX. 7.30 – 9.00 pm
Friday 26th July
Stafford & Stone CND Benefit Concert
County Staff Club, 77 Eastgate Street, STAFFORD, ST16 2NG.
Featuring The Deacons, Crooked Bawbies, David Jiminez Hughes, Steal the Stars and Dave Doehren. 8.00 pm
Tickets £8: contact Derek Bunce on 07598 214424.
Monday 17th June, 7.15 pm
• Inaugural meeting of Stoke & Newcastle local CND group
• Peace Centre, Burslem School of Art, Queen Street, Burslem, Stoke-on-Trent, ST6 3EJ
All CND members and supporters in Stoke-on-Trent and Newcastle-under-Lyme are cordially invited to attend this meeting, at which it is hoped to elect an interim committee and establish a programme of activities.