You can download our flyer for the event here
Date: Monday 13th March
Time: 7pm – 9pm
Venue: North Staffs Medical Institute, Hartshill Road, Hartshill, Stoke-onTrent ST4 7NY
Speaker: Kate Hudson (CND General Secretary):
Chair: : Joan Walley (Former MP for Stoke-on-Trent North)
Join us on Monday 13th March to discuss why we need to do all we can to stop the Trident replacement.
South Cheshire and North Staffordshire Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament will be holding a public meeting, at the North Staffs Medical Institute, with CND general secretary Kate Hudson as the speaker.
In the age of austerity we must not only oppose Trident on moral and ethical grounds but also due to the huge financial costs involved. The replacement could end up costing us over £205bn of public money, money which should be instead spent on our underfunded public services.
As Kate has stated on her blog on the CND website:
“The cost of Trident replacement and what we could spend the money on instead, remains a central part of our work to get the programme cancelled.”
“Far better to spend it on industrial regeneration, building homes and hospitals, tackling climate change or meeting our defence needs in practical and usable ways. The world has moved on since nuclear subs were first designed and procured – politically, economically and technologically and it’s time for our politicians to catch up.”
Please join us for what looks set to be a very informative evening.
Also, if you haven’t already done so, please sign the petition, which can be found here, calling on the government to:
• Cancel the replacement of Trident, Britain’s nuclear weapons system
• Support a global nuclear ban treaty
We are running a coach to the Stop Trident demo on Saturday 27th February.
The coach will definitely pick up in Stoke at 8.00 am. Other pick-up points may be arranged if required (e.g. Crewe, Keele, Newcastle or Stafford).
To book your seat, you will need to pay in advance. (We are sorry to have to insist on this, but hiring coaches to London is expensive, and we have to pay the coach company in advance.) The cost is £20 per person, or £10 if you are unwaged, or earn less than the living wage. If you are high waged, and can afford it, we ask you to pay £30.
There are two ways of booking and paying.
1. By post. Send a cheque or postal order, payable to ‘South Cheshire & North Staffs CND’, to SCANS CND Peace Centre, Groundwork Enterprise Centre, Albany Works, Moorland Road, Burslem, STOKE-ON-TRENT, ST6 1EB, together with your details (see below).
2. Electronically. Make a payment by bank transfer using your internet banking service to South Cheshire & North Staffs CND, sort code 08-90-09, account number 50562019 – and give your surname as the reference so that we can identify your payment. Then send an email to email@example.com confirming that you have paid, and giving your details (see below).
Whichever way you book, please ensure you give us the following details:
– Your name
– The number of seats you are booking, and at what cost
– Where you would like to join the coach (see above)
– Your postal address
– Your email address (we will confirm your booking, and notify any changes, by email)
– Your mobile phone number (in case we need to contact you on the day)
Join us for our Hiroshima Day stall and remembrance On Wednesday 6th August from 5pm outside Hanley Bus Station, Lichfield Street/Lidice Way, Hanley, Stoke-on-Trent, ST1 1RA.